MASSE IN THE NEWS: Masse protests station's closing

PUBLICATION: The Windsor Star
DATE: 2009.03.03
EDITION: Final
SECTION: News
PAGE: A2
BYLINE: Sarah Buell

Masse protests station's closing

Windsor West MP Brian Masse says he isn't going to let A Channel go down without a fight.

Masse called a news conference Monday outside the A Channel's downtown Windsor station to say he intended to do whatever he could to save the station.

Last week CTVglobemedia announced it will not renew the station's broadcast licence, which expires in August, leaving the fate of the station's 19 employees in limbo.

Masse said he can't go anywhere in Windsor without someone expressing to him their disappointment in the recently announced decision. The station was launched in October 1993.

Masse agrees and said the loss of the city's only private Canadian television broadcaster in Windsor is unacceptable. He said that because of the city's proximity to the U.S., the loss of local content A Channel provides will leave Windsorites with an overwhelming amount of American content.

'IT'S DEVASTATING'

"It's devastating. I think it will lead to further media loss here." Masse said adding that he is, "calling for the CRTC to step in."

Masse said the station is crucial for the coverage of local events and programming and that CTV -- a "private enterprise using public infrastructure" -- has a responsibility to the community.

"CTV should go back to the drawing board and come back with something that's acceptable," he said Monday.

He also questioned why the company doesn't just put the station up for sale. He believes it should at least be an option, adding that Rogers has shown interest in it in the past.

Masse said the issue will be discussed in Ottawa and he encouraged the public to voice objections by contacting the CRTC or CTVglobemedia.